Sunday 17 October 2010

The effect of ICT on the way people work (Part 1)

Remote Desktop
Remote Desktop first appeared in 2001 with the release of microsoft's Windows XP. The feature allows a user to connect to another computer and use a graphical interface that allows them to control everything on that other computer as long as it does not exceed the internet connection capabilities. To access the computer, it must be set-up on both computers, this means that it provides a sanctuary against "hackers". The system can be used in homes and workplaces for file sharing.
The main feature is that an employee can connect to their office computer.. from the comfort of their own home. This is particularly useful. especially if the employee needs to travel often and it ensures that the work is accessed easily. This means that work can be completed easily and can also allow the employee to spend more quality time with their family in a less stressful environment. It is also cheaper for the company, meaning they do not have to provide offices for the employees if they work from home.
Remote Desktop In Use
Advantages:
  • It allows an employee to access their computer from the other side of the world (as long as an internet connection is present), this means that it costs the company much less as a flight does not need to be made for the employee to come back to their computer if an emergency occurs.
  • It allows families to spend more time together. This means that the employee gets more time to create filial bonds reducing the stress of their job, potentially giving them more of a work ethic.
  • It reduces costs of travelling to work. This is particualarly useful if the employee commutes, saving time and money, meaning more efficient work for the company and employee.
  • It gives the company more of an opportunity to send employees abroad for promotional reasons. This allows the company to become more widely known and allowing the employee to access their computer at any time.

Remote Desktop can give families more time together.

Disadvantages:
  • Working at home for some people may seem like an opportunity to skive off and relax. This unfortunately could cost the company a lot of money and possible liquidation, especially in the current economic climate.
  • An internet connection is required to access remote desktop; therefore it may be difficult to access the work computer if the employee is in a less economically developed country.
  • It is not completely secure; if one of the computers becomes infected with a virus/trojan, it could be accidentally transferred onto the other PC creating damage in files and software, costing money to fix.
  • The employee must have a computer at home to access the computer at work, this can be particularly difficult for low-income families.


News Story (From Wilts and Gloustershire Standard - 11/10/10 - Gemma Casey):
A COMPUTER expert traced a stolen laptop using hi-tech software from his South Cerney home.

David Spencer, an IT whizz from South Cerney, was called in to help his friend, a retired doctor from Cirencester, when his laptop was stolen from his car while he was in London.
Police were called but they had no luck tracing the thief responsible.
A few weeks earlier, the doctor had given permission for Mr Spencer to install remote desktop software which meant Mr Spencer could access and take control of his laptop at any time.
Three weeks after the laptop was stolen, Mr Spencer used the remote control software to access the computer and saw it was being used.
"I was really excited when I saw the mouse moving," he said.
"I watched them send e-mails, browse the internet and use social network sites.
IT Whizz traces stolen laptop
"I sent them an e-mail telling them they were using a stolen laptop and it needed to be returned."
Mr Spencer said he believed the person using the laptop was not the person who stole it.
He added: "I probably gave him the scare of a lifetime because at one point I froze the computer and opened a blank document and started typing to him.
"He said he bought it off someone for £200.
"I told him to go to the police station and hand it in, which thankfully he did."
Mr Spencer said the doctor was overwhelmed and relieved when the laptop was returned to him because he had important data stored on it.
"The police could not do anything but I turned out to be quite the detective myself," added Mr Spencer.
"My heart was beating so fast when I realised I could solve this, I had a big rush of adrenalin."

 
Interview
Tim Bell is a Sales Manager for one of Britain's most prestiguous companies "Axminster Carpets" and travels worldwide to sell products to companies, mostly of aviation. He lives in rural Dorset and so the use of the internet is very useful for his job. He uses IT often and I spoke to him about how it affects his work life:
  • So how often do you travel abroad, does it cause difficulty in accessing you're work computer? Not really, my work laptop connects to my work's network which is similar to a remote desktop connection except my account is kept on a server, this means I can really access my account anywhere. I travel abroad every few weeks, mostly to Los Angeles, Germany or France, all of which have reasonable internet connections; so it is easy for my to access my work.
  • What other means of IT do you use in your work life? Well my work provided me with a HTC smartphone which has my e-mail set up on it along with my standard phone number. This is really useful as it allows me to answer important e-mails especially when I can't access a wi-fi connection. I
  • Do you find it easier to work at home? No, I think that working at home gives you the feeling that you can relax more, which is wrong, and I often get tied up with work if it is not done. If I'm honest, I prefer working in my office, even if it does cost more to travel there.
  • Do you think that without the existence of the internet, your job would be the same?  No, I use e-mail, server access and the tracking of products all of the time. It has made my job more efficient as everything can be done very quickly. I think that without the internet; my job would be too much for one person to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment